Upon completion of the on-line quizzes, successful students will be able to:
1. Critically analyze connections between food, health, and the environment within a community food security discourse.
- Evaluate the contributions of different food-related academic disciplines to addressing community food security issues
- Integrate disciplinary and systems approaches to understanding community food security issues
- Articulate the principles of Asset-Based Community Development and Food Justice
- Assess the quality of reasoning about a problem, issue or situation
The quizzes are worth 35% (30% towards individual grades and 5% through results of the team quizzes) of the overall course grade, similar to a midterm, but spread across the course. The questions in the quizzes will help you master key terms and concepts in the course and analyze the logical structure of lectures, readings, videos, podcasts, and other resources used in the course by focusing on the following:
- Definitions of key concepts and theories
- Articulating purpose and key questions in readings and resources
- Identifying information and evidence used to support claims and conclusions
- Interrogating assumptions and beliefs of authors
- Reflecting on consequences and implications of specific lines of reason
You will be required to complete 3 quizzes through Canvas before sessions 2, 9 + 11. These quizzes will be based on material from session readings and on-line resources specific to each session.
In-Class, Two-Staged Quizzes
The in-class quizzes will be held in sessions 4, 5 + 7. You will have 30 minutes to complete the quiz individually and 20 minutes to complete the quiz with your team members. Each student will hand in the individual quiz before starting the team quiz. The two-staged format provides students with an opportunity to deepen their understanding by discussing topics with team members, asking each other to make predictions, explain their rationales for those predictions, and clarify their different understandings of the material. The results of the team quizzes contribute to 5% of your group mark in the course.