This project is an opportunity to engage with one of Canada's leading non-profit agencies, the Breakfast Club of Canada
- The goal of this project is to develop an accessible, fun recipe book that schools can use to serve healthy breakfasts to students, while maintaining a strict budget.
Areas of Focus
- School hunger and nutrition programs
- Community food and hunger assets
- Recipe book design
- Graphic design / writing
- The majority of the work will be done remotely, with occasional meetings taking place both on campus and at our downtown Vancouver office (Granville and Pender). We will also visit a school breakfast program at the beginning of the term.
- Availability in the morning to visit school feeding program in Vancouver is highly recommended
Breakfast Club of Canada
Mission + Vision
Breakfast Club of Canada is a Canada-wide non-profit that has worked for the last 20 years to provide nutritious breakfasts to students before class each morning. Our mission is to ensure that all students have access to a healthy breakfast in a safe, supportive environment so that they can do their best in school. Today, we support over 1,400 schools across Canada, serving breakfast to over 150,000 students each morning.
- Contact Persons: Robin Ryan
- Email: email@example.com
- Address: 411 – 470 Granville St, Vancouver
- Phone: 604-685-2220
- Website: www.breakfastclubcanada.org
- Best time(s) method(s) to contact: Email
- The goal of this project is to develop an accessible, fun recipe book that schools can use to serve healthy breakfasts to students, while maintaining a strict budget. The recipes in this book will adhere to strict cost requirements, provide nutritional information, and be tailored toward easy-to-prepare (or store) meals that can be made for large groups of students.
- The production of this book will support the Club’s goal to encourage healthy eating habits and food literacy in our partners and the students we serve.
Skills Preferred + To Be Developed
- Graphic design / writing
Preferred Days of Week and Hours
- We are very flexible with our hours, although students wishing to see a breakfast program in action will need to find a weekday where they are available at 8am.
Experiential Learning Opportunities
- We will encourage group members to visit one of our local breakfast programs to see it in action
I hope students will learn about…
- School meal programs
I think students will come to appreciate…
- Working within budgetary and time constraints
Students will develop…
- Understanding of the work that goes into building a targeted tool to meet the specific needs of a vulnerable population.
- Greater number of tools to support nutrition for our programs