Windermere Secondary School- Aquaponics Revitalization
School garden, sustainability education, science curriculum, aquaponics, lesson plan
Mission and Vision of Organization
The leadership program at Windermere Secondary School is a five-year program designed to provide challenges and opportunities to students in the classroom, the community, and in our natural environment. Students that attend our program are part of a community network that prioritizes social responsibility, environmental stewardship, and community engagement. Throughout the program, students fully participate in a variety of school, community, and outdoor activities that provide them with a diverse range of experiences. It is through these experiences that students learn to be active citizens. Our inclusive approach and ability to engage the community have made our classroom a dynamic place for learning while providing opportunities for students to get involved in many vital issues.
Guiding Principles + Values
Learning doesn’t just take place in the classroom, but is a dynamic and lived experience involving our identities and the communities around us.
- Primary Contact Person(s): Brendan Chan
- Email: email@example.com
- Address: 3155 E27th Avenue, Vancouver BC
- Phone: 604 713 8179
- Website: https://www.windermereleadership.org/about
- Best time(s) method(s) to contact: Email
In Sustainability 11, leadership students and UBC LFS students will have the opportunity to research, plan, and revitalize our school’s aquaponics system. One of our garden’s biggest challenges has been starting up our aquaponics system, and its integration into school curriculum and community. To meet this need LFS students and Sustainability 11 students will also work collaboratively to come up with and test, a variety of lessons and labs around aquaponics.
The intended outcomes are:
- A functioning aquaponics system
- A variety of lessons and labs that can be shared with teachers
- A tighter connection to our school’s garden space
- Showcasing the garden as a learning space that is accessible to all
- Greater environmental stewardship
Student Assets and Skills (preferred or required)
- Facilitation skills
- Interest in the school system and school curriculum
- Interest in doing hands-on work with high school aged youth
Criminal record check required?
Windermere Secondary School 3155 East 27th Ave
About a 15 minute walk from 29th Skytrain Station
Preferred Days of Week and Hours
Project/Partner Orientation Materials
Site visit of the garden, as well as these background materials. Please familiarize yourself with these materials before the in-person orientation meeting.
- About Windermere Leadership
- Farm to School Vancouver Area Regional Hub (video)
- BC Science Curriculum
Related Community Service Opportunities for Students
Get to know the neighbourhood by volunteering with the Renfrew Collingwood Food Security Institute
- I hope students will learn about curriculum development and collaboration
- I think students will come to appreciate the complexity of a food system and how there are many ways to expand and grow relationships
- Students will develop a sense of accomplishment in being able to help in the building of the aquaponics project and in setting up the system for continued success in the school system.
- A better sense as to how to collaborate between student and university learning
- Showcase to students how sustainability comes in many forms
- Meaningful experiences that high school students will remember and the opportunity to connect with and be mentored by students from a university