Lord Roberts is launching a new Edible Education program where students from all grades will be participating in gardening and food preparation activities once per week throughout the school year. The goal of the program is to develop students’ food literacy, “the knowledge, skills and attitudes necessary to choose, grow, harvest, prepare and enjoy food to support one’s health, community and the environment. as well as other curriculum areas.” (Healthy Schools BC). The garden is being expanded to 28 beds this Fall and there is funding in place to being to implement a weekly Farm to School Salad Bar program in 2019. The hope is to involve both students and parent volunteers in the preparation of the food, potentially using the scheduled Edible Education program time.
The goal of the project is to help determine best practices and strategies for engaging students and parent volunteers in the preparation of the Farm to School salad bar, including recommendations for equipment beyond the scope of what the school currently has. This will support the school’s goals around wellness, nutrition and learning, as well as the development of the new Edible Education program.
Skills Preferred + To Be Developed
- Knowledge of food preparation and food safety
- Strong interest in hands-on food education with 5-12 year olds
- Good research skills
Preferred Days of Week and Hours
3pm on project work days would be best for meeting, though there can be some flexibility after school hours
Lord Roberts Elementary School at 1100 Bidwell Street in Vancouver's West End
Project / partner orientation
Request the “Edible Education at Roberts” (background document) from your TA. Other materials, including a grant application will be shared with students at the first meeting on September 19.
Related Community Service Opportunities for Students
- A cleared Criminal Record Check (CRC) will be required for working with vulnerable adults and children (this is a specific CRC).
Lord Roberts Elementary School
Mission + Vision
Our school is committed to supporting engaged learners, caring communities and an inclusive school environment.
Guiding Principles + Values:
At Lord Roberts, the wellness of our children and our school community is front and centre. When we speak of wellness, we consider the ability to learn, social, emotionally and intellectually. To deepen our support for children building strength in their day to day choices, as a staff, we will be looking at the following “big ideas” to support this goal:
- Social Emotional Learning
- School Climate
- Creating Opportunities to Give
- Contact Person(s): Brent Mansfield
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Address: 1100 Bidwell Street
- Phone: 604-713-5055
- Website: http://go.vsb.bc.ca/schools/roberts/Pages/default.aspx
- Best time(s) method(s) to contact: Email
I hope students will learn about:
- Opportunities to engage K-7 students in growing, preparing and eating healthy food
- Visionary programs and leaders involved in food education
I think students will come to appreciate the complexities of school food systems and need to take a comprehensive, systems approach.
- Gain a stronger understanding of best practices for food preparation and food safety in schools
- Learn new strategies for engaging students in edible education
- Gain fresh ideas and perspectives on how to achieve our goals